English Language entry requirements

When you apply to study with us, you will need to be sure that you have the English language skills to be able to study.

You can demonstrate your English language ability in any of these ways:

1. With a qualification (eg a high school certificate) from your country that has been approved by the University of Wolverhampton as meeting the minimum English Language entry competency. 

See your country for details.

2. By demonstrating that you completed your secondary or university education at a secondary (high) school or university in a country approved by the University as teaching in the medium of English.

3. If you are a national of one of the following countries you do not have to prove your level of English.

Antigua and  Barbuda BelizeGuyanaSt Lucia
AustraliaCanadaJamaicaSt Vincent and the Grenadines
The Bahamas DominicaNew ZealandTrinidad and Tobago
BarbadosGrenadaSt Kitts and NevisUnited States of America

4. By presenting one of the international qualifications listed below.  It should have been completed no more than two years before of the start date of your degree course.

For each qualification, there may be further requirements regarding individual language components; please contact international admissions for futher advice.

Note: Some courses have higher English language requirements so please check on application.

Your QualificationEntry to Standard Degree Programmes(Some courses have higher English language requirements so please check on application)
Wolverhampton English Proficiency Exam (WEPE)6.0 with no less than 5.5 in any component
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)6.0 with no less than 5.5 in any component
Presessional English Awardfrom the University of WolverhamptonIf you have not obtained the correct IELTS / WEPE score for your degree course, you may wish to take a Pre-sessional English languagecourse first. The pre-sessional course will help you to improve and develop your English language and academic skills and will prepare you for your degree programme at the University of Wolverhampton.
Trinity College LondonISE 11B2 pass
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)Level B2and 165 overall with no less than 162 in any subskill .
Cambridge English : Proficiency (CPE)Pass
Cambridge. ESOL Skills for Life Level 2Pass in all three modes
City & Guilds International ESOL (IESOL) Diploma (9992)Level 1 (B2)
Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)54 with no less than 51 in all skills (reading, writing, listening , speaking)
Test of English as a Foreign Language) TOEFL79 overall with no less than 19 in all four skills (reading, writing, listening , speaking)
European BaccalaureateWith Language 1 or Language 2L60% overall60% in English (Language 1)70% in English (Language 2)
Anglia Certificate of English as a Foreign Language ( Proficiency level)(acCEPT)PassSpeaking must be includedW1A Academic writing (Writing Section A pre-April 2015) must be includedPlease contact us for advice if speaking is not included.
Anglia Certificate of English as a Foreign Language ( Advanced Level)Pass (12.5) in all skillsSpeaking must be included.Please contact us for advice if speaking is not included.
IGCSE English as a First Language (Cambridge)Grade C with minimum B2 in all components      Supplementary Certifying Statement showing CEFR breakdown must be provided by candidates
Edexcel IGCSEGrade B with spoken English B
IGCSE English as a Second Language  (Cambridge)Grade C
International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma(post 2011) (Standard level)Pass, grade 5 for English at Standard Level in Language B (English) and Language A (Literature)
International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma (post 2011) (Higher Level)Pass, grade 4 for English at Higher Level In Language B (English)

If you don’t have the right level, you can find out how we can help you by looking at our Pre-sessional English language and International Foundation Year courses at the International Academy

Students requiring a Tier 4 visa

If you require a Tier 4 visa, you must demonstrate that you have the correct English language requirements to study in the UK. The requirements will differ depending on whether you are applying to study a Foundation or a Pre-Sessional English programme or whether you are applying to study at degree level.

Studying below degree level

If you want to study a course below degree level such as the International Foundation Year Courses or our Pre-sessional English language courses you must have an English language test result which is recognised by United Kingdom Visas and Immigration (UKVI). The two accepted tests are IELTS and Trinity College London ISE. These are known as SELTS (Secure English Language Tests). For further TIER 4 Guidance , please see Government Guidance for Migrant Tier 4 visa.